1500 does not work: Thoughts on increasing MTUs on the internet

  • From: Peter Dambier
  • Date: Sat Apr 14 03:41:11 2007

Fred Baker wrote:
1500 byte MTUs in fact work. I'm all for 9K MTUs, and would recommend them. I don't see the point of 65K MTUs.

Well, with almost everybody using PPP0E in germany and at least half of europe our mtu is somewhere arround 1480. Many routers are braindead (ICMP lobotomiced).

When you hit somebody on an ip2ip link or IPv6 tunnel your mtu goes down
to even smaller packets and things live ftp or ssh simply break. I have
seen many gamers on mtu = 1024 and smaller.

Kind regards
Peter and Karin Dambier

--
Peter and Karin Dambier