Re: Thoughts on increasing MTUs on the internet

  • From: Mikael Abrahamsson
  • Date: Thu Apr 12 16:58:06 2007

On Thu, 12 Apr 2007, Joe Loiacono wrote:

Window size is of course critical, but it turns out that MTU also impacts
rates (as much as 33%, see below):

       MSS      0.7
       RTT    (P)**0.5

MSS = Maximum Segment Size
RTT = Round Trip Time
P   = packet loss

So am I to understand that with 0 packetloss I get infinite rate? And TCP window size doesn't affect the rate?

I am quite confused by this statement. Yes, under congestion larger MSS is better, but without congestion I don't see where it would differ apart from the interrupt load I mentioned earlier?

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: [email protected]