RE: Thoughts on increasing MTUs on the internet

  • From: Buhrmaster, Gary
  • Date: Thu Apr 12 14:45:13 2007

> Last I heard, the IEEE won't go along, and they're the ones who
> standardize 802.3.
>
> A few years ago, the IETF was considering various jumbogram options.
> As best I recall, that was the official response from the relevant
> IEEE folks: "no". They're concerned with backward compatibility.

As I remember it, the IEEE did not say "no" (that is not the
style of such standards bodies).  Instead, they said something
along the lines of "We will consider any proposal that does
not break (existing) standards/implementations".  And, to the
best of my knowledge, the smart people of the world have not
yet made a proposal that meets the requirements (and I believe
more than a few have tried to think the issues through).

There is absolutely nothing to prevent one from implementing
"jumbos" (if you can even agree how large that should be).
It just seems that whatever one implements will likely not
be an IEEE standard (unless one is smarter than the last
set of smart people).

Gary