Re: Abuse procedures... Reality Checks

  • From: Stephen Satchell
  • Date: Tue Apr 10 20:37:54 2007

[email protected] wrote:

I also find it curious that you claim to have people on staff at your
company who know what SWIP means. Perhaps you could ask them to share
that information with us since I have never seen this documented
anywhere. Do they really know what you claim they know?

--Michael Dillon

Google is your friend.

http://www.arin.net/registration/guidelines/report_reassign.html

Shared WHOIS Project (SWIP)

"SWIP is a process used by organizations to submit information about downstream customer's address space reassignments to ARIN for inclusion in the WHOIS database. Its goal is to ensure the effective and efficient maintenance of records for IP address space.

"SWIP is intended to:

* Provide information to identify the organizations utilizing each subdelegated IP address block.
* Provide registration information for each IP address block.
* Track utilization of allocated IP address blocks to determine if additional allocations may be justified.

"For IPv4, organizations can use the Reassign-Simple, Reassign-Detailed, Reallocate, and Network-Modification templates to report SWIP information.

"Organizations reporting IPv6 reassignment information can use the IPv6 Reassign, IPv6 Reallocate, and IPv6 Modify templates.

"Organizations may only submit reassignment data for records within their allocated blocks. ARIN reserves the right to make changes to these records upon the organization's approval. Up to 10 templates may be submitted as part of a single e-mail."

SWIPs are required for reallocations of /29 and larger if the allocation owner does not operate a RWhoIs server.

Of course, SWIP is a ARIN thing, and you work for BRITISH TELECOMMUNICATIONS PLC. As a US network operator, I was well aware of the requirements for SWIP, because ARIN rules make it clear that, as a netblock owner of an ARIN allocation, I'm required to do it.

Which numbering authority do you work with day to day?