RE: Abuse procedures... Reality Checks

  • From: michael.dillon
  • Date: Tue Apr 10 10:17:10 2007

> Because I haven't got unlimited WHOIS queries.  (Although I
> and everyone
> else *should* have those.  There are no valid reasons to
> rate-limit any
> form of WHOIS query.)

Yes there are. The current whois returns way more information on a query
than you need for network operations. That's because the current whois
was designed back in the 1970's so that ARPANET network managers could
identify all the users of the network in order to help them make the
business case for their budget requests to cover the cost of high-speed
56k frame relay links.

There is no good reason to rate-limit a query that takes an IP address
(or IP address range or CIDR block) and returns with a list of database
record identifiers for the enclosing blocks. The record identifiers for
organizations who directly received an allocation or assignment from
ARIN would be their org-id. The other ones, SWIP records, would have
some fixed database key like REASG20060000000022812536. If no
REASsiGnment record exists, you now have the orgid to contact and have
no need to do an additional query if they are a known organization. If
the REASiGnment records do exist, you can look them up in your own
database to see if they are a re-offender. And if you really need to,
then you can do a RATE-LIMITED lookup of contact info.

One type of query is justifiably rate limited to prevent DB scraping by
spammers et al. The other type is not, however it does not currently
exist because the RIR whois directory was not created for network
operations support nor is it designed to do this job. You can hack
together all kinds of mashups that sort of work if you squint the right
way, but the bottom-line is that whois does not do the job that many
network operators think it does or would like it to do.

> Because This Is Not My Problem.  If by chance someone benign
> has chosen
> to locate their operation in known-hostile, known-negligently-operated
> network space, then their failure to perform due diligence may have
> consequences for them.

It would be interesting if you, and other like-minded hard-nosed network
admins would get together and write a requirements document for a whois
type directory lookup that would actually support you in what you are
trying to do while minimizing collateral damage. The only caveat is that
it must be legal to implement in the USA, i.e. you will never get GPS
coordinates and a photo of the registrant in such a system.

In my opinion, the purpose and scope of such a directory is to provide
contact info for people who are ready, willing and able to communicate
regarding network operations and interconnect issues and who are able to
act on that communication. All contact info should be verified with the
contactee who must EXPLICITLY agree to have the info published. All
contact info will be verified periodically (maybe every 4 months?) by
out-of band means, i.e. the directory operator will keep track of
individual email addresses and phone numbers for role account managers.

If such a directory did exist, then it would be smaller than whois. You
would get many more failures on a quick query which is a good thing. It
means that the network operator did not make it a contractual
requirement for their customer to maintain an up-to-date network
contact. In that case, the network operator is not just morally
responsible for abuse, they are contractually responsible.

Or maybe you could come up with something better?

> 1. Gratuitously labeling carefully-considered measures as
> random is not a
> route to productive conversation.

Agreed. I think a lot of the problem stems from assumptions. People make
a lot of assumptions on what whois does based on the net folklore that
was handed down to them when they "joined" the Internet. Few people seem
to question such folklore and few people notice that not everybody
shares the same understanding. However, it is a lot easier for people to
notice that your carefully-considered measures look like a lot like a
crude weapon that causes lots of collateral damage. They feel that you
could do better and attack you rather than attacking their own
assumptions which are the real root of the problem. If you had better
data to work with, then your carefully-considered measures would evolve
to appear highly sophisticated wisdom, and would also cause little
collateral damage.

--Michael Dillon