Re: Abuse procedures... Reality Checks

  • From: Paul Vixie
  • Date: Mon Apr 09 00:15:32 2007

[email protected] (Douglas Otis) writes:

> Good advise.  For various reasons, a majority of IP addresses within a
> CIDR of any size being abusive is likely to cause the CIDR to be blocked.
> While a majority could be considered as being half right, the existence
> of the "bad neighborhood" demonstrates a lack of oversight for the entire
> CIDR, which is also fairly predictive of future abuse.

that sounds like a continuum, but my experience requires more dimensions
than you're describing.  for example, this weekend two /24's were hijacked
and used for spam spew.  as my receivebot started blackholing /32's, the
sender started cycling to other addresses in the block.  each address was
used continuously until it stopped working, then the next address came in.
while there were two /24's and two self-similar spam flows, there was not a
strict mapping of spam flow to packet flow -- both /24's emitted both kinds
of spam.  "uniq -c" results are below.  i've nominated both blocks to the
MAPS RBL, and i can't tell from whois whether it's worthwhile to complain
to the ISP's.  would you say that i've learned anything of predictive value
concerning future spam from the containing /17 (CARI) or /15 (THEPLANET)?
or is this just another run of the mill BGP hijack due to some other ISP's
router having enable passwords still set to the factory default?  (we all
owe randy bush a debt of gratitude for pushing on RPKI, by the way.  anybody
can complain about the weather but very few people do something about it.)

   7 67.18.239.66
   2 67.18.239.67
   1 67.18.239.68
   1 67.18.239.69