Re: Abuse procedures... Reality Checks

  • From: william(at)elan.net
  • Date: Sat Apr 07 18:03:14 2007

On Sat, 7 Apr 2007, Fergie wrote:

- -- Rich Kulawiec <[email protected]> wrote:

1. There's nothing "indiscriminate" about it.

I often block /24's and larger because I'm holding the *network* operators
responsible for what comes out of their operation.  If they can't hold
the outbound abuse down to a minimum, then I guess I'll have to make
up for their negligence on my end.  I don't care why it happens -- they
should have thought through all this BEFORE plugging themselves in
and planned accordingly.  ("Never build something you can't control.")

I would have to respectfully disagree with you. When network operators do due diligence and SWIP their sub-allocations, they (the sub-allocations) should be authoritative in regards to things like RBLs.

$.02,

Yes. But the answer is that it also depends how many other cases like this exist from same operator. If they have 16 suballocations in /24 but say 5 of them are spewing, I'd block /24 (or larger) ISP block. The exact % of bad blocks (i.e. when to start blocking ISP) depends on your point of view and history with that ISP but most in fact do held ISPs partially responsible.

--
William Leibzon
Elan Networks