Re: Blocking mail from bad places

  • From: joej
  • Date: Wed Apr 04 18:23:33 2007

Yes, its an SMTP bounce, not a store, try to forward and return.
I should have clarified.

> Right.  It also quite an effective way to be sure you never hear from
> non-technical users who don't understand your bounce message,
>and from people like me who don't feel like jumping through your hoops,
> particularly in a case like this where we're responding to a question
> you asked.

Yes, unfortunately there are draw backs, I try to make the 550 bounce as
informative as possible, (url link yadayada) but.. With a maillist I see
the responses because I allow email from the network that serves the
maillist server, in this case NANOG (: So...

As needed I add IPs/Netblocks, but like I said very much over kill and
administratively burdening. But the upside is (I think maybe 1) spam email
in the last 3 months. I still get a count on the spam bounces, which have
decreased, month 1=1752 bounces, 2=1292, 3=899. Again not an answer, more
like a campaign..

Just my 2Âs on the whole thing.
Cheers,
-Joe Blanchard