RE: summarising [was: Re: ICANNs role]

  • From: Donald Stahl
  • Date: Wed Apr 04 11:14:11 2007

offers 5 minutes from curb to seat checkin service. The need exists but
it ain't gonna be filled anytime soon because the government prohibits
such things. The government mandates delays and multiple vetting
processes between the time you step on the curb and the time you sit in
your airplane seat.
And government interference has been such a boon for the airlines and air travelers? Or just about any industry for that matter? Come on. Do you really want a group of people who think the Internet is a bunch of tubes telling you how things should be run?? God help us all if that happens.

Same with buying a handgun in most states and in Canada. Same with
opening a business in most jurisdictions. You have to go to cityhall and
apply for a license first. Why should domain name registries be special
and be exempt from these normal processes of vetting and registering?
Did you seriously, honestly, just compare a domain name to a handgun??????

I have NO idea what to say to this ...

This was originally a much longer email but your statement made me realize the futility of my arguments...

-Don