Re: Blocking mail from bad places

  • From: Ken Simpson
  • Date: Tue Apr 03 13:49:15 2007

> The alternative is the absurdity that a local ISP has: a 14 way cluster
> for mail acceptance, and another 20 way cluster for mail storage and
> retrieval with terabytes of storage space, 90% of the resources (or
> more) of which are taken up accepting and storing as much spam as
> possible... and this is an ISP with a few thousand dial up and DSL
> customers, and a small datacenter with three rows of racks. ... and none
> of these resource usages are billed back to the customers... they're
> just overhead.

Does the local ISP do any connection management? A 14 machine cluster
for a few thousand users sounds on the high side. For example, we have
an ISP customer with 20,000 accounts and just 3 edge servers.

For those who are interested, I did a talk at the MIT Spam Conference
on throttling as a way of dealing with increased spam volume. Videos
are here:

 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBwdWQfaskI
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pGncfRZqm0

> Email quaint? You betcha - my kids and their friends do "email" all the
> time: via MySpace and the equivalents, no SMTP required. They wouldn't
> know what an email client was if you hit them over the head with it.

... And not surprisingly, the new spam frontier is being quiety
fought at MySpace, SixApart, Blogger, and other social networks. There
was a very interesting presentation at the MIT Spam Conference
concerning blog spam at SixApart. Videos here:

 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZjArRqSc7A
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODXUE66J9B0

Regards,
Ken