RE: ICANNs role [was: Re: On-going ...]

  • From: michael.dillon
  • Date: Tue Apr 03 12:28:18 2007

> Perhaps the message here is that you get what you pay for.  For a rock
> bottom price, You get rock bottom service.  There are registrars that
> charge considerably more and provide considerably more service.

There just isn't enough hierarchy in the DNS. Back when I was running my
own ISP, I gave hosting customers free domain names like
bobscafe.myisp.net, and fredshardware.myisp.net. That was a rockbottom
price but because it was bundled with another product and FULLY UNDER MY
CONTROL, I could do it for free. It cost more money, $50 I believe, to
register a name like myisp.net. But unfortunately, it was darn near
impossible to register a new TLD unless you were a small country.

That is where the problem started. The charging structure should have
been hierarchical so that people could register a new TLD (4 chars or
more) for $1 million, and a new second level domain for $1000. That
would have driven smaller businesses to 3rd level domain names which
would probably range from free-with-hosting-service to $5 a year with
DNS hosting thrown in.

Now we have this horrible flat system where 3 char TLDs are free but
require a bloated and expensive evaluation process, 4 char and greater
TLDs do not exist, and everyone is crammed in on the 2nd level with far
too many trying to pretend that they have a TLD inside .com.

Blechhh!

Only one registry out there http://www.nic.name/ is even doing third
level registrations and most ISPs no longer give out meaningful third
level names, just stuff like cs182365536663.myhosting.net and the like.

What ICANN is missing, sorely missing, is an office of the CTO which
would look at naming and addressing *ARCHITECTURE* and advise the board
and ICANN councils. Eventually, we could have some intelligent
discussion of a better way to structure this whole thing and then we
would at least have a goal that we could work towards in fits and
starts. Instead of the floundering that happens today.

I remember when we had the IAHC and it seemed like we really would have
some system that was based on sound network architectural grounds.
Unfortunately, ICANN was formed to wrestle with the political issues and
left the technical issues sitting in a cloud of dust back at the
busstop.

--Michael Dillon