Re: ICANNs role [was: Re: On-going ...]

  • From: Joe Greco
  • Date: Tue Apr 03 10:23:36 2007

> I know the head abuse guy at Godaddy.  He is a reasonable person.  He
> turns off large numbers of domains but he is human and makes the
> occasional mistake.  The fact that everyone cites the same mistake
> tells me that he doesn't make very many of them.

Hm, okay, which one was that.

Was it:

o  nectartech.com
o  berlettefx.com
o  foetry.com
o  familyalbum.com

And I'm not even trying hard.  But be sure to let me know which one is
the one everyone cites so that I can be sure to be with the "in" crowd.
;-)

> If you demand that
> the shutdown process be perfect and never make any mistakes ever, even
> ones that involve peculiar e-mail failures are are fixed in a day or
> two, you're saying there can't be any shutdown process at all.

The Internet is a wonderful place to be.  We can get redundant circuits
through diverse providers and get BGP to make it all work for us.  We can
put geographically diverse nameservers around the globe to ensure that a
network failure doesn't make our DNS stop resolving.  But there's no
redundancy for a DNS registration.  As a result, things involving a DNS
registration should probably require a /higher/ level of diligence,
rather than a lower level.

Many of the experiences like the whole seclists thing rank right up there
with the experience I had with Cogent filtering one IP address of a
client's /24 due to a Usenet spam complaint, at around 3AM in the morning,
with a 1 hour "mandatory response window", where they didn't give any
return contact information, AND not only did they not succeed in
mitigating the "problem" (because they didn't understand that the message
had been posted many hours earlier) but they didn't even filter the right
IP address.  Except that was harmless.

Competence is always in short supply, but it is in particularly short
supply where the margins are thin.  Domain names are one really stellar
example of something that is both critical and has little profit margin.
We should be very careful about wishing for domain registrars to "fix"
problems, because the results are not likely to be what you think.

... JG