Re: On-going Internet Emergency and Domain Names

  • From: John Levine
  • Date: Tue Apr 03 08:43:17 2007

>> created domains and discriminate between the ones that were created for good
>> and the ones created for ill.  How would one do this?
>
>A good start would be to forbid the delegation of newly-registered
>domains that have not yet been paid for.

I am not aware of any registrars that extend credit other than via credit
cards.  Registries all require prepayment from registrars.

Is there some loophole I'm not aware of?  Even domain tasting involves
paying and then getting a refund.  If you mean waiting long enough to
see if the credit card bounces, that would be a swell idea but since
it can often take more than six weeks for the cardholder to notice a
bogus charge and complain, I suspect you'd see some pushback on a
waiting period that long.

R's,
John