Re: On-going Internet Emergency and Domain Names

  • From: Chris L. Morrow
  • Date: Mon Apr 02 22:18:22 2007

On Mon, 2 Apr 2007, David Conrad wrote:

> On Apr 2, 2007, at 7:12 PM, Joseph S D Yao wrote:
> > On Mon, Apr 02, 2007 at 05:33:08PM -0700, David Conrad wrote:
> >> I think this might be a bit in conflict with efforts registries have
> >> to reduce the turnaround in zone modification to the order of tens of
> >> minutes.
> >
> > Why is this necessary?  Other than the cool factor.
>
> I think the question is "why should the Internet be constrained to
> engineering decisions made in 1992?"

or victims of policy of that same 'vintage'... doing things faster isn't
bad, doing it with less checks and balances and more people willing to
abuse the lack of checks/balances seems like a bad idea.  If you can get a
domain added to the system fresh in 5min or less, why does it take +90
days to get it removed when all data about the domain is patently false
and the CC used to purchase the domain was reported stolen 2+years ago?

I don't mean to pick on anyone in particular, but wow, to me this seems
like just a policy update requirement.