Re: On-going Internet Emergency and Domain Names

  • From: Douglas Otis
  • Date: Mon Apr 02 19:58:34 2007

On Apr 2, 2007, at 11:07 AM, Roland Dobbins wrote:
On Apr 1, 2007, at 6:16 PM, Douglas Otis wrote:

Until Internet commerce requires some physical proof of identity, fraud will continue.

As has already been stated, this is hardly a guarantee.

It seems to me that we're in danger of straying into déformation professionnelle.

Agreed and my apologies for not being clear. Registrars are unable to curtail current levels of fraud without significant changes in how domains are acquired. Consider registrar related fraud as a separate and perhaps even fruitless topic.

The recommendation was for registries to provide a preview of the next day's zone. A preview can reduce the amount of protective data required, and increase the timeframe alloted to push correlated threat information to the edge. This correlated threat information can act in a preemptive fashion to provide a significant improvement in security. This added level of protection can help defeat expected and even unexpected threats that are becoming far too common as well.

-Doug