Re: On-going Internet Emergency and Domain Names

  • From: Chris L. Morrow
  • Date: Mon Apr 02 11:54:38 2007

On Mon, 2 Apr 2007, Andy Johnson wrote:
> weaknesses wherever they may find them. Today it might be weak verification
> of domain registry infrastructure, tomorrow it might be exploiting some p2p
> network.

so, what exactly is the problem with registrations? One of the problems I
see is with a seeming lack of follow-through on fraudulently purchased
domains. Another is a seemingly long time to remove domains that are 'up
to no good'.

Taking out of this problem space the 'domain tasting' or 'domain kiting'
issue (which is really a use of loopholes there for consumer
protection...)

If you look at the domain registration system as a legacy process, what
would you do differently if re-inventing it? That, it seems to me, is
likely the best path forward. Take your opinions/options and get them
codified into new policy for registries/registrars to follow. With every
relatively static and relatively open set of policies eventually
bad-actors will find a set of loopholes or vulnerabilities to get their
job done. It seems that re-evaulating the polcies/procedures/requirements
would be useful in this matter.

-Chris