Re: On-going Internet Emergency and Domain Names

  • From: Andy Johnson
  • Date: Mon Apr 02 11:04:08 2007

> You got me there. I will add:
> "You can NEVER make the Pirates go away" but;
> "You can make sure they never enter your seas"

At which point, they take to land. The real issue at heart here is that some
people wish to pursue evil means, and will change tactics and seek out
weaknesses wherever they may find them. Today it might be weak verification
of domain registry infrastructure, tomorrow it might be exploiting some p2p
network.

As has been repeated already, creating a fix in one technology will just
force the would-be criminal to use another. The only real solution here is
to make fewer criminals, and your only chances of that are to have more
effective means of prosecuting them. In that aspect, I'm afraid we are quite
a long way off, and will still always be a reactive process as opposed to a
proactive process. The only hope is that it would deter future riffraff
(though you could argue, such as with the pirate analogy, they will just
find new avenues of attack).