Re: PG&E on data centre cooling..

  • From: Stephen Satchell
  • Date: Sat Mar 31 22:51:04 2007

John Kinsella wrote:
On Fri, Mar 30, 2007 at 02:53:58AM +0000, Paul Vixie wrote:
[email protected] ("Dorn Hetzel") writes:
I preferred the darkness of PAIX back in the late 90's.  We had a
christmas tree in our cage and it looked great in the dark :)
that was brian reid's idea, and it was a great one, and equinix-san-jose
was merely copying paix (where al and jay had just spent a few years).
most importantly, it's STILL dark, and still looks great.

I sorta wonder why the default is lights on, actually...I used to always
love walking into dark datacenters and seeing the banks of GSRs (always
thought they had good Blink) and friends happily blinking away.

What we really need is a datacenter with lit floor tiles. ;)

John(damn I've been in a DC with clear floor tiles...why didn't I think
of this then?)

How about the concept used in movie theatres? Line the walkways with white LEDs so that people can walk safely.

Far less power, easy to run from small UPS, and use LED exit lights to keep the fire marshalls happy. Even mark the location of fire extinguishers in LEDs.

Customers would be encourages to bring their own florescent panel lamps; rentals would be available for the forgetful.