Re: On-going Internet Emergency and Domain Names

  • From: Stephen Satchell
  • Date: Sat Mar 31 22:31:45 2007

Douglas Otis wrote:
On Sat, 2007-03-31 at 16:47 -0500, Frank Bulk wrote:
For some operations or situations 24 hours would be too long a time to wait.
There would need to be some mechanism where the delay could be bypassed.

What operation requires a new domain be published within 24 hours? Even banks require several days before honoring checks as protection against fraud. A slight delay allows preemptive enforcement measures. It seems most if not all operations could factor in this delay into their planning.

"Sips of knowledge intoxicates the mind, while deeper drinking sobers it again." Where did you drink that Kool-Aide?

Back when I was in the bank automation business, the main effort was to build a "quick-clearing" process, measured in hours, for checks. The idea is that an electronic recording of the check would be sent to the issuing bank, payment made by the issuing bank to the account of the receiving bank, and the payment confirmed when the physical paper (or photocopy) of the check arrived.

(If the paper never showed up, the issuing bank would reverse the transfer of the money.)

The idea of fractional-day clearing was to reduce the float between banks. Whether that fractional-day clearing made all the way to the customer is the decision of the receiving bank, as it controls when the funds are released to the depositor. The receiving bank can *use* that money if it doesn't credit the depositing account immediately, but waits a day.

I'm a customer. I want a domain name *now*, not in the future. I believe that, given the speed of the Internet, there is no reason to introduce delays.

As for "tasting", I'm against it. The cost of a domain name is small enough that there is no need to have a tasting. Some of the excuses I've seen to support tasting can readily be handled by other processes that have the same effect, but without the potential for harm by abusers.