Re: On-going Internet Emergency and Domain Names

  • From: Petri Helenius
  • Date: Sat Mar 31 13:19:36 2007

Mattias Ahnberg wrote:
They will adapt to any change like this we would try
to do. The only real way to attempt to stop this is
lobbying for legislation, nailing people for what we
see around us and the damage they cause us and to
make it risky business rather than the piece of cake
it is today. Anything else is just a minor setback
for them, and a HUGE deal of investment and money
for "us" on top of what we already spend handling
what we're exposed to.
I second this motion, I think the only way to make a step change for the better is to seek and implement measures that make it more expensive and challenging to be in the badware/phishing/spam business. These measures should also hold their ground and push the problem into the backyards of those who choose to ignore the crap they allow into the public network.

Unfortunately nothing to address this seriously exists today and I've yet to identify serious effort to get this done. I'd be happy to be part of such endeavour if one is going to be founded someday.

But I do believe it could be done. Even without "clean slate" daydreaming.

Pete