Re: Slightly OT: Looking for an old domain for spam collection

  • From: william(at)elan.net
  • Date: Wed Mar 28 13:12:36 2007

On Wed, 28 Mar 2007, Tony Finch wrote:

On Wed, 28 Mar 2007, Ken Simpson wrote:

What is particularly missing IMHO is a spoofed-BGP-route blacklist. Anyone making any progress on that sort of thing?

completewhois has lists in various forms of bogon and hijacked networks.

http://completewhois.com/bogons/bogons_usage.htm

Only bogon list will catch some real-time hijacking and only when they are doing at the unannounced space (which does happen - see presentation at couple nanogs ago about spammers announcing full /8 and using unallocated portions; there were other cases too that did not use as large of an announcement).

The real-time hijacking (short-announcements that go away in about
an hour although some do stay longer) of someone else's space or short-term announcements of unused legacy space can only be caught
when you know where correct announcements should come from and until we have SIDR, there is no reliable way to do it. The way i'm testing
it is by comparing where routes for where announcements come from
before and setting certain time period before route is considered "adequate" (this has obvious bad implications for those changing
from one ASN to another). If my project get sufficiently stable for public consumption trials I'll let you know more but from what I
wrote you should get an idea on how set something like it yourself
(and I think this is something similar to what others are doing too already, I'm unsure if they are making data public or not).

--
William Leibzon
Elan Networks