RE: TCP and WAN issue

  • From: michael.dillon
  • Date: Tue Mar 27 18:12:46 2007

> I have an east coast and west coast data center connected
> with a DS3. I am running into issues with streaming data via
> TCP and was wondering besides hardware acceleration, is there
> any options at increasing throughput and maximizing the
> bandwidth?

Use GigE cards on the servers with a jumbo MTU and only buy IP network
access from a service provider who supports jumbo MTUs end-to-end
through their network.

> How can I overcome the TCP stack limitations
> inherent in Windows (registry tweaks seem to not functions too well)?

Install a pair of Linux servers and use them to send/receive the data
over the WAN.

Also, do some googling for Internet Speed Record and read pages like
this one:
http://www.internet2.edu/lsr/history.html

And read up on scaling MTI size with bandwidth here:
http://www.psc.edu/~mathis/MTU/arguments.html

--Michael Dillon