Re: SLA monitoring and reporting to customers

  • From: william(at)elan.net
  • Date: Mon Mar 19 05:25:25 2007

On Sun, 18 Mar 2007, virendra rode // wrote:

william(at)elan.net wrote:

On Sun, 18 Mar 2007, Rubens Kuhl Jr. wrote:

What open-source or low-budget tools are operators using for SLA
monitoring when the reports (current state and historical) should be
available to customers ?

Please define SLA in terms of monitoring.
- -----------------------
I would say,

- - availability

OK - network connection up or UP/DOWN with list of when its down and for how long and SLA based on amount of time its been down or more commonly time_up/time_down*100

- - response time / latency

ok ping latency graph for user view with SLA based on maximum average latency over given time period

- - utilization

How is that part of SLA? Or do you mean you gurantee that your own upstream network connection would not be overutilized?

- - accuracy and errors

accuracy of what? what type of errors, packet drops?

- - five nines, six nines , take your pick and define your own holy grail.

$ echo "60*24*365*(1-0.99999)" | bc -l 5.25600

You wish to tell me you guarantee network connection to customer to
be down for no more then 5 minutes during the year? Yeh, right :)
(but don't let me discourage any of you in trying to achieve it!)

--
William Leibzon
Elan Networks