AUP enforcement diligence

  • From: David Barak
  • Date: Fri Mar 16 09:40:50 2007

--- Sean Donelan <[email protected]> wrote:

> How many people thank the police officer for
> stopping them and giving
> them a ticket for violating traffic rules?

I do, but perhaps I'm uncommon in this regard.

Your larger point, however, is completely valid: there
is a relatively normal desire to have rules enforced
on other people with more zeal than one would choose
for oneself.

Perhaps more transparency is a tonic for this?  If ToS
and the AUP are more clearly written and enforced as
consistently as possible, I would expect customers to
be less horked off by AUP/ToS shutdowns.

It does surprise me that no enterprising person/group
has turned this into a salable feature: "we're the
network which shuts down spammers/infected/baddies."
I could imagine that there would be customers who
would rather give their business to providers who are
more active in this regard than less, and that would
be a way for a service provider to differentiate
themself from the rest of the pack.

-David

David Barak
Need Geek Rock?  Try The Franchise: