Re: SaidCom disconnected by Level 3 (former Telcove property)

  • From: Gerry Boudreaux
  • Date: Thu Mar 15 22:25:04 2007

On Mar 15, 2007, at 8:25 PM, Jon Lewis wrote:
On Wed, 14 Mar 2007, Frank Bulk wrote:

http://www.phillyburbs.com/pb-dyn/articlePrint.cfm?id=1310151

Is this a normal thing for Level 3 to do, cut off small, responsive
providers?

Even from that one-sided account, I have serious problems with:

Siwert said the Colorado-based Level 3 "cited several Internet
abuses" by SaidCom customers as the reason for the shutdown, including
spam problems. "Some customers abuse the system", but when that
happens, SaidCom contacts the authorities, said Siwert.

When we have a customer spamming, we don't call the police. We either talk to, ACL, or shut off the customer. The above suggests to me that SaidCom had spam issues that they were either unable or unwilling to remedy themselves.

ACL's are your friends with non-responsive customers. ;-), But maybe SaidCom did not know better.

How many Abuse tickets had they received from TelCove/(3) over what time frame?

I may be way off base here: Only knowing the "facts" presented in the above article, the "Abuse" complaints may have also included DMCA complaints, which, if not responded to in a timely manner, could also have resulted in liability for (3).* As per the quote above, the abuses included spam, he did not say they "were exclusively spam".

*I am not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV.

Just reading between the lines here...