Re: [funsec] Not so fast, broadband providers tell big users (fwd)

  • From: John Levine
  • Date: Wed Mar 14 13:48:11 2007

>> A universal service charge could be applied to all bills, with the
>> funds going to subsidize rural areas.
>
>This is already done in the U.S., to no discernible effect.

I dunno.  My rural ILEC which is up to its armpits in USF money, sells
me a T1 for $190/mo plus tax.  (Plus what their captive ISP charges
for Internet).  They also provide consumer DSL to most of their
customers for about $30/mo, give or take this month's package
promotion.

If I was paying the true cost, well, I wouldn't.

R's,
John