Re: [funsec] Not so fast, broadband providers tell big users (fwd)

  • From: Todd Vierling
  • Date: Tue Mar 13 14:31:46 2007
  • Dkim-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=beta; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:sender:to:subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references:x-google-sender-auth; b=GJh1bzzjs2gEOD+iWyOMa2iu3ArrGksjvXU0H4GVf8Fsnqg9PrPZz2q2v8vBnf6ungWdsKwPDLCUCKZtnPlzX3j95CN/hIDrO2CTvkt/UxVxBcEzdYJpqPpl+8UZi3VUdwKIWwmeRHwedvoe2cjbn5gE6CDXkLbAP0/LTBrC6Y0=
  • Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=nofws; d=gmail.com; s=beta; h=received:message-id:date:from:sender:to:subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references:x-google-sender-auth; b=dl4u3k9kgz1VtVnSQpRDwB0t+XO/g/R1Fjm5X+zZJqufUREQdonSY+7UZRv6fYja52qg5Ue/4Gk4LbPPW+DIaZyvVXoWuMCpwSUo1rTibCko2FtgNFnujVH+AkD3FCXu+Yezae+iqTMZ79dyXbmfAY1i9jklg+DpAtNvvjSXAFw=

On 3/13/07, Roland Dobbins <[email protected]> wrote:
> There are other technologies better
> suited to rural deployment, such as satellite, powerline, some cable,
> or even re-use of the previous generation's ADSL gear once metro areas
> are upgraded.

Or something like WiMAX?

Depends on how rural the area is. Some parts of the US have problematic terrain and *very* sparse population; there, the cost would far outweigh the subscriber uptake. Should someone want bandwidth in such an area, powerline or satellite are probably better choices.

(I don't mention cell-based wireless technologies, because the
providers in that market space haven't truly awakened to the
possibility of fixed cell termination sites for broadband-type access.
That is generally seen as a congestion threat, not an opportunity, by
the carriers.)

--
-- Todd Vierling <[email protected]> <[email protected]> <[email protected]x>