Re: [funsec] Not so fast, broadband providers tell big users (fwd)

  • From: Jeff Shultz
  • Date: Tue Mar 13 11:43:02 2007

Alexander Harrowell wrote:

On 3/13/07, Todd Vierling <[email protected]> wrote:

Critical mass is approaching.  There's only so long that North
American consumers can be held back from bandwidth-hogging
applications and downloads while parts of the world have long since
upgraded to 10Mbit/s bidirectional (and beyond) consumer-grade access
speeds.

Both cable and DSL providers are about to have a very loud wake-up
call, and from here, I see absolutely zero uptake of newer technology
and infrastructure to offset the inevitable.

768 ain't broadband. Buy Cisco, Alcatel, and Akamai stock!

It certainly is - just ask the CALEA folks.... and as for who is pushing the bandwidth curve, for the most part it seems to be gamers in search of the ever shrinking ping time. I suspect they make up most of our >1536kb/sec download customers.

What "parts of the world" have long since upgraded to those speeds - and how do they compare size-wise to the USA? We've got an awful lot of legacy infrastructure that would need to be overcome.

I will happily agree that it would be nice to have higher upload speeds than DSL generally provides nowadays. What are cable upload speeds like?

--
Jeff Shultz