Re: single homed public-peer bandwidth ... pricing survey ?

  • From: Patrick W. Gilmore
  • Date: Tue Mar 06 18:14:22 2007

On Mar 6, 2007, at 6:00 PM, Jason Arnaute wrote:
--- Patrick Giagnocavo <[email protected]> wrote:
Jason Arnaute wrote:

I am currently hosted in a small, independent
datacenter that has 4 or 5 public peers (L3,
Sprint,
UUnet, AT&T and ... ?)

They are a very nice facility, very technical and
professional, and have real people on-site 24
hours
per day ... remote hands, etc. All very high end
and
well managed.

But, I am charged between $150 and $180 per
megabit/s
for non-redundant, single-homed bandwidth (not
sure
which provider they put it on) and even if I
commit to
20 or 30 megabits/s it still only drops down to
$100 -
$120 per megabit/s.

Are you sure that you are connected to only one
provider?  You mean that
they are not doing BGP so that if one connection
goes down, another path
to the Internet is available?

Yes, that's what I am saying - one pipe only, and if
it goes down, I go down.

I am confused.

You list 4 very, very large providers, yet say the datacenter has one pipe. Those two statements are in conflict - you can't get all 4 of them on one pipe.

Also, you have not mentioned your volume. You say L3 is $30/Mbps, but they are no where near that for 1-5 Mbps of traffic.

--
TTFN,
patrick

So ... I am wondering if roughly $150/mb/s is just way
off the charts for something like that, or if I am
only overpaying by roughly 10-30% or so ...

And then, of course, I'd like to be pointed to where I
can learn why HE.NET and L3 are so cheap compared to
that, and what my cost/benefit would be to
switching...

(as for racks and power, it is on the high average
side.  Roughly $1000/mo for a full cabinet)