Re: single homed public-peer bandwidth ... pricing survey ?

  • From: Jason Arnaute
  • Date: Tue Mar 06 18:03:13 2007

--- Patrick Giagnocavo <[email protected]> wrote:

> Jason Arnaute wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I am currently hosted in a small, independent
> > datacenter that has 4 or 5 public peers (L3,
> Sprint,
> > UUnet, AT&T and   ... ?)
> >
> > They are a very nice facility, very technical and
> > professional, and have real people on-site 24
> hours
> > per day ... remote hands, etc.  All very high end
> and
> > well managed.
> >
> > But, I am charged between $150 and $180 per
> megabit/s
> > for non-redundant, single-homed bandwidth (not
> sure
> > which provider they put it on) and even if I
> commit to
> > 20 or 30 megabits/s it still only drops down to
> $100 -
> > $120 per megabit/s.
> >

> Are you sure that you are connected to only one
> provider?  You mean that
> they are not doing BGP so that if one connection
> goes down, another path
> to the Internet is available?

Yes, that's what I am saying - one pipe only, and if
it goes down, I go down.

So ... I am wondering if roughly $150/mb/s is just way
off the charts for something like that, or if I am
only overpaying by roughly 10-30% or so ...

And then, of course, I'd like to be pointed to where I
can learn why HE.NET and L3 are so cheap compared to
that, and what my cost/benefit would be to
switching...

(as for racks and power, it is on the high average
side.  Roughly $1000/mo for a full cabinet)