Re: Where are static bogon filters appropriate? was: 96.2.0.0/16 Bogons

  • From: Mikael Abrahamsson
  • Date: Tue Mar 06 17:47:48 2007

On Tue, 6 Mar 2007, [email protected] wrote:

On Tue, 06 Mar 2007 21:54:06 +0100, Mikael Abrahamsson said:
So instead I just drop their spoofed traffic and if they call and say that
their line is slow, I'll just say it's full and they can themselves track
down the offending machine and shut it off to solve the problem.

This doesn't sound very scalable. You're almost certainly overcommitted on the upstream side and likely looking at congestion if many customers are spewing.

If they're spewing spoofed traffic I'm dropping it, so that's not a problem.

What do you tell the customer who calls and complains that *he* isn't a major
traffic source, but he's seeing dropped packets and delays on your upstream
link?  Do you tell him its full and they can track down which other customer
is the offender?

Do you usually design networks that can't handle customers using what they have paid for? I don't. (for any reasonable amount of statistical oversubscripion of course)

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: [email protected]