single homed public-peer bandwidth ... pricing survey ?

  • From: Jason Arnaute
  • Date: Tue Mar 06 16:54:02 2007

Hello,

I am currently hosted in a small, independent
datacenter that has 4 or 5 public peers (L3, Sprint,
UUnet, AT&T and   ... ?)

They are a very nice facility, very technical and
professional, and have real people on-site 24 hours
per day ... remote hands, etc.  All very high end and
well managed.

But, I am charged between $150 and $180 per megabit/s
for non-redundant, single-homed bandwidth (not sure
which provider they put it on) and even if I commit to
20 or 30 megabits/s it still only drops down to $100 -
$120 per megabit/s.

So naturally, I am very interested when I see HE.NET
offering bandwidth for $20/mb/s, and it looks like
Level3 is selling for $30/mb/s...

Are there two classes of bandwidth in the world ?  Is
it reasonable and expected that single homed public
peered bandwidth is, circa Jan 2007, going for above
$100/mb/s while private peered bandwidth like L3 and
HE.NET is $30 and below ?

Or am I just getting ripped off ?

Where can I go to read and learn more about the
advantages and disadvantages (from a networking
standpoint) of switching from an independent, public
peered datacenter to, say, L3 or HE.NET ?

Thanks.

http://mobile.yahoo.com/mail