Re: Where are static bogon filters appropriate? was: 96.2.0.0/16 Bogons

  • From: Mikael Abrahamsson
  • Date: Tue Mar 06 12:04:12 2007

On Sun, 4 Mar 2007, Sean Donelan wrote:

When customers misconfigure their router, e.g. wrong BGP neighbor or ASN, wrong interface IP address, exceed max prefix limit, etc; don't they lose Internet connectivity until they fix it?

A properly configure router should never forward even a single bad packet. If it does, isn't it likely to have configuration problems so why continue to keep misconfigured routers connected?

Customers are unlikely to fix problems which don't cause them to lose service.

Even though the BOFH in me agrees with you, I also know that every cent on my paycheck comes from the customers, so I prefer not to treat them like crap. If I can protect the internet from my customers by doing uRPF or source IP based filtering, I achieve the same thing as you but with less customer impact.

Also, all the examples you give implies a BGP transit customer. I am imagining all kinds of customers, from colo customers where I am their default gateway, to residential customers where it's the same way. Disabling their port and punting them to customer support is NOT a cost efficient way of dealing with the problems, at least not in the market I am in.

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: [email protected]