Re: Where are static bogon filters appropriate? was: 96.2.0.0/16 Bogons

  • From: Jon Lewis
  • Date: Thu Mar 01 14:53:41 2007

On Thu, 1 Mar 2007, Chris L. Morrow wrote:

ah-ha! but seriously, is this something an NSP/ISP should be doing? or is
this an enterprise function? or MSSP function? Are there standard tools
available to notify folks when changes occur? (aside from: "go check
iana.org website" or "golly traffic's not flowing anymore")

Such updates get posted to various places like nanog, cisco-nsp, probably other -nsp lists, and such...but for the large number of ASNs not represented at all on those lists, I don't know how they're supposed to "get notified" every time a bogon ceases to be. My own experience with this was that its very diffifcult to find your way to the clue at organizations with such filter issues...and even when you find such breakage, its hard to tell from the outside which end of a connection has the filter issue.

 Jon Lewis                   |  I route
 Atlantic Net                |