Where are static bogon filters appropriate? was: 96.2.0.0/16 Bogons

  • From: Chris L. Morrow
  • Date: Thu Mar 01 09:27:20 2007

On Thu, 1 Mar 2007, Jon Lewis wrote:

> On Wed, 28 Feb 2007, Eric Ortega wrote:
>
> > I'd like to thank the group for the responses and help with this issue. I
> > find it ironic that Randy's study actually uses 96 space.
>
> The amazing/sad thing is that people have been facing and fixing the same
> problem for more than 4 years.  How many times does a network have to fix
> their static bogon filters before coming to the realization that those
> filters are a bad idea?

So, where are static bogon filters appropriate? (loaded question perhaps)
I ask because just about every 'security expert' and 'security whitepaper'
or 'security suggestions' has some portion that speaks to "why it's a
grand idea to have acl-lines/firewall-policy tp block 'bogon' ip space"
(for some definition of 'bogon' of course).

-Chris