Re: FCC on wifi at hotel

  • From: Robert Bonomi
  • Date: Wed Feb 28 18:12:09 2007

> Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 17:38:10 -0500
> From: Jared Mauch <[email protected]>
> Subject: Re: FCC on wifi at hotel

[[.. munch ..]]
> 	http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/FCC-06-157A1.pdf
>
> 	I do suggest reading this.  They can not legally bar you from
> using the devices.  They can charge you outrageous fees to get to/from
> the MMR or telco demarc and make it prohibitively expensive.
>
> 	It may also be problematic to be held hostage showing up
> and them saying that no, you can not install your equipment while you
> hire a lawyer to explain to them that you are violating FCC fules
> for the "OTARD rules".
>
> 	- Jared

Note well that the 'OTARD rules' do *NOT* apply to an organization holding
a meeting at a hotel, or other meeting/convention facility.

I quote:
   For the OTARD rules to apply, the antenna must be installed "on property
   within the exclusive use or control of an antenna user where the user
   has a direct or indirect ownership or leasehold interest in the property"
   upon which the antenna is located.

An orgaization contractig for the short-term use of a meeting facility has
_no_ such 'ownership or leashold' interest in the property.