Re: Measurement data on transit traffic in IP routers?

  • From: Frank Coluccio
  • Date: Mon Feb 19 11:05:52 2007

>Your statement makes something of a presumption
>as to the architecture of a network.  In many
>networks, edge aggregation devices do not
>participate in backbone routing, but simply
>pass the traffic they are aggregating into the core.

My first reaction, as well. However, I was reminded
by Andrew Odlyzko that the cable tv industry's (MSOs')
peering universe constitute a form of flattened 'edge',
if one were to consider the larger Internet's core
against the MSO community, which makes for another
form of interesting analysis, since much of today's
(especially more capacious) residential "broadband"
flows begin and end on MSOs' networks, and sometimes
never touch the larger core, fwiw. And this opens the
door to other forms of "walled garden" environments,
including intranets, some providers' CDNs, extranets,
and so on.

Frank A. Coluccio
DTI Consulting Inc.
212-587-8150 Office