Re: botnets: web servers, end-systems and Vint Cerf

  • From: Gadi Evron
  • Date: Fri Feb 16 00:34:03 2007

On Thu, 15 Feb 2007, Peter Moody wrote:
> > I kept quiet on this for a while, but honestly, I appreciate Vint Cerf
> > mentioning this where he did, and raising awareness among people who can
> > potentially help us solve the problem of the Internet.
> >
> > Still, although I kept quiet for a while, us so-called "botnet
> > experts" gotta ask: where does he get his numbers? I would appreciate some
> > backing up to these or I'd be forced to call him up on his statement.
> >
> > My belief is that it is much worse. I am capable of proving only somewhat
> > worse. His numbers are still staggering so.. where why when how what? (not
> > necessarily in that order).
> >
> > So, data please Vint/Google.
>

> Dr. Cerf wasn't speaking for Google when he said this, so I'm not sure why

Okay, thansk for clarifying that. :)

> you're looking that direction for answers.  But since you ask, his data came
> from informal conversations with A/V companies and folks actually in the

Interesting.

> trenches of dealing with botnet ddos mitigation.  The numbers weren't taken

Botnet trenches? Yes, I suppose the analogy to World War I is correct. I
should know, I was there (metaphorically speaking). My guess is, if we are
to follow this analogy, we are now just before the invention of the tank
now in 2007, but oh well.

> from any sort of scientific study, and they were in fact mis-quoted (he said
> more like 10%-20%).

Interesting.

<snip poison>

<snip more poison>

> (my opinions != my employer's, etc. etc.)

Many thanks,

> Cheers,
> .peter

	Gadi.