Re: Solaris telnet vuln solutions digest and network risks

  • From: Robert E. Seastrom
  • Date: Wed Feb 14 07:53:55 2007

<[email protected]> writes:

> Do you know of any network operators who have no Solaris boxes at all
> used in the management of some part of their network? Seems to me that
> it is very common for network operators to use Solaris boxes to manage
> their networks. And while they may have ACLs to prevent access from the
> outside world, this probably does not prevent employee access. So it is
> a big deal when there is an exploit that allows anyone to break into
> these management devices.

http://www.nanog.org/endsystem.html

Solaris (and {windows, mac, voip phone, snmp toaster } ) vulnerabilities
are not on-topic for [email protected]

> Also, there is a subset of network operators whose business is hosting
> servers and these companies often use Solaris servers at least partly.
> Again, seems relevant to me.

The sysadmins of such systems read the appropriate mailing lists.  You
probably don't read them because it's not part of your job, just as
you probably don't monitor firearms-related mailing lists for news of
safety recalls if you have no vested interest in that area.

> By the way, your posting seems to have been written for purposes which
> are not on-topic on this list. Why did you post it to NANOG-L?

The NANOG MLC encourages polite feedback and positive peer pressure
from fellow list members.  Whether this feedback is posted publicly is
left to the discretion of the individual providing the feedback.
Albert's message is on-topic for the list.  That said, in the unlikely
event that positive peer pressure gets out of hand to the degree that
it interferes with the usefulness of the NANOG mailing list, the MLC
may request that metadiscussion threads get moved to nanog-futures.

Hope this clears things up,

                                        ---Rob (on behalf of nanog-admin,
                                                the nanog mailing list
                                                administration team)