Re: death of the net predicted by deloitte -- film at 11

  • From: Hank Nussbacher
  • Date: Mon Feb 12 03:42:03 2007

At 10:02 PM 11-02-07 -0500, Daniel Senie wrote:

IP Multicast as a solution to video distribution is a non-starter. IP Multicast for the wide area is a failure. It assumes large numbers of people will watch the same content at the same time. The usage model that could work for it most mimics the broadcast environment before cable TV, when there were anywhere from three to ten channels to choose from, and everyone watched one of those. That model has not made sense in a long time. The proponents of IP Multicast seem to have failed to notice this.

I never quite understood why layered multicast never took off which would solved the problems you state above. There have been so many research papers on the subject from the late 90s that I would have thought that by now IPmc would be the silver bullet for video distribution.

-Hank