Re: death of the net predicted by deloitte -- film at 11

  • From: Frank Coluccio
  • Date: Sun Feb 11 21:43:48 2007

I believe that the element that has been missing in this discussion thus far has
been the source (content) players, and where they are hiding. CDNs, a la Akamai,
Limelight, etc., will take up some of the slack and mitigate much of the backbone
burden where legitimate ISPs are concerned, as will hierarchical caching for the
newbie carriers-that-came-to-be-called "ISPs" -i.e., the MSOs and Telcos. Playing
the Pareto, the higher the demand (95/5) for a title, the closer it will be
stored to the user community, and the longer the tail (5/95) of a title, the
farther its storage from the user community. My point is, CDNs and hierarchical
cache must be inserted into the calculus, because one, they are already being
used, and two, their use will only increase with time, fwiw.

Frank

ps - I've had some issues with my email editor of late. If anyone notices any
artifacts or extraneous characters in the delivery of this message, kindly email
me off list and I shall be indebted to you, tia.

On Sun Feb 11 19:22 , "Geo."  sent: