Best way to supply colo customer with specific provider

  • From: Rick Kunkel
  • Date: Tue Jan 30 18:53:27 2007

Hello all,

Being relatively new to the colocation business, we run into a fair number
of issues that we've never run into before.  Got a new one today, and
although I can think of kludgey ways to accomplish what he wants, I'd
rather get some other ideas first...

We just had our first customer that's requesting bandwidth exclusively
through a particular provider of ours (Cogent) at less expensive pricing.
The money people here are up for it, but obviously, they want to make sure
that he's confined to that Cogent connection.

So now of course we're attempting to figure out the best way to do this,
and I figured that rather than reinventing the wheel, I'd check to see how
others accomplish things like this.

The way I can imagine doing it is by using route-maps to steer all of this
customer's traffic out the Cogent pipe, and modifying our BGP
announcements by AS prepending on whatever block or blocks we set aside to
be "Cogent-exclusive".

Again though, this seems to me to lack a certain amount of, for lack of a
better word, "grace".

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Rick Kunkel