Re: Cable-Tying with Waxed Twine

  • From: Wayne E. Bouchard
  • Date: Thu Jan 25 16:04:15 2007

Oh, just a small note on this topic...

Lacing (or even zip tying) doesn't really help a great deal for
tracability and whatnot unless you at least do a rough job of combing
out cables. In fact, failing to do so when you're tying cables down
can kink cables and actually lead to failures since many people haev a
tendancy to overtighten laces.

On Wed, Jan 24, 2007 at 04:49:43PM -0800, Steve Rubin wrote:

> Dan Mahoney, System Admin wrote:
> >
> >Hey all,
> >
> >This seems a wee bit off topic, but definitely relates to network
> >operations (somewhere below layer 1) and I can't think of a better
> >place to ask.
> >
> >Upon leaving a router at telx and asking one of their techs to plug in
> >the equipment for me, I came back to find all my cat5 cables neatly
> >tied with some sort of waxed twine, using an interesting looping knot
> >pattern that repeated every six inches or so using a single piece of
> >string.  For some reason, I found this trick really cool.
> >
> >I have tried googling for the method, (it's apparently standard, I've
> >seen it in play elsewhere), and for the type of twine, but had little
> >luck.  I was wondering if any of the gurus out there would care to
> >share what this knot-pattern is actually called, and/or if there's a
> >(illustrated) howto somewhere?
> >
> >-Dan "Tired of getting scratched up by jagged cable ties" Mahoney
> >

> Best site I have seen so far:
> http://www.dairiki.org/hammond/cable-lacing-howto/

---
Wayne Bouchard