Re: Cable-Tying with Waxed Twine (fire propagation issue?)

  • From: John L Lee
  • Date: Thu Jan 25 13:19:23 2007

Dan,

While I do not know the answer, My question on using the wax twine in a climate controlled or colo with fire suppression or even telco colo these days is it allowed under newer NEC since it is flammable and can sustain burning for a period of time. While Telecos do not usually retrofit COs that often after Hinesdale (spelling) in Chicago and the propagation of the fire on non-plemun rated cable all those standards were upgraded. I would check BICSI / NEC codes for your state to see if the materials can still be used or if they have a replacement material.

John (ISDN) Lee

Dan Mahoney, System Admin wrote:

Hey all,

This seems a wee bit off topic, but definitely relates to network operations (somewhere below layer 1) and I can't think of a better place to ask.

Upon leaving a router at telx and asking one of their techs to plug in the equipment for me, I came back to find all my cat5 cables neatly tied with some sort of waxed twine, using an interesting looping knot pattern that repeated every six inches or so using a single piece of string. For some reason, I found this trick really cool.

I have tried googling for the method, (it's apparently standard, I've seen it in play elsewhere), and for the type of twine, but had little luck. I was wondering if any of the gurus out there would care to share what this knot-pattern is actually called, and/or if there's a (illustrated) howto somewhere?

-Dan "Tired of getting scratched up by jagged cable ties" Mahoney