Re: Cable-Tying with Waxed Twine

  • From: Robert Boyle
  • Date: Thu Jan 25 04:10:07 2007

At 07:30 PM 1/24/2007, you wrote:
Upon leaving a router at telx and asking one of their techs to plug in the equipment for me, I came back to find all my cat5 cables neatly tied with some sort of waxed twine, using an interesting looping knot pattern that repeated every six inches or so using a single piece of string. For some reason, I found this trick really cool.

I have tried googling for the method, (it's apparently standard, I've seen it in play elsewhere), and for the type of twine, but had little luck. I was wondering if any of the gurus out there would care to share what this knot-pattern is actually called, and/or if there's a (illustrated) howto somewhere?

Someone else already mentioned Tecra Tools. We use Tecra. However, we use Specialized too.

http://www.specialized.net/ecommerce/shop/seriesmaster.asp?series_id=Cable+Lacing+Tools

Our guys prefer the Chicago style straight blade needles since the curved tools are too unwieldy when dealing with high cable density. Here is a picture from one of our datacenters:

http://www.tellurian.com/california/img_8065_std.jpg

We use lacing at all of our facilities. As far as I'm concerned, it is the only way to go.

-Robert

Tellurian Networks - Global Hosting Solutions Since 1995
http://www.tellurian.com | 888-TELLURIAN | 973-300-9211
"Well done is better than well said." - Benjamin Franklin