Re: Cable-Tying with Waxed Twine

  • From: Tim Jackson
  • Date: Wed Jan 24 20:58:40 2007

I order it from www.tecratools.com, you can also get the lacing needles and everything else you might need:

A somewhat decent resource:
http://www.tecratools.com/pages/tecalert/cable_lacing.html

Needles and lace:
http://www.tecratools.com/pages/telecom/cable_tools.html

I have seen some Qwest and BellSouth technical documents which go into a little more detail of how they expect it to be done, but go find someone who's done any kind of cabling in a CO and they can teach you :)

--
Tim

On 1/24/07, William Yardley <[email protected]> wrote:

On Wed, Jan 24, 2007 at 07:30:06PM -0500, Dan Mahoney, System Admin wrote:

[...]
> I came back to find all my cat5 cables neatly tied with some sort of
> waxed twine, using an interesting looping knot pattern that repeated
> every six inches or so using a single piece of string.
[...]
> I have tried googling for the method, (it's apparently standard, I've
> seen it in play elsewhere), and for the type of twine, but had little
> luck.

The kind my vendor was able to get was flat (not the normal stuff). As
far as I know, this stuff is usually surprisingly expensive and / or
comes in large cases. You might just see if the people at your colo can
give you a roll or two, or ask where they order theirs (last time I
asked, they bought it by the case).

I believe this is the stuff I have:
http://www.edmo.com/index.php?module=products&func=display&prod_id=20352

I got it from a local outfit (Danbru - http://danbru.com - great Socal
vendor) at ~ $35/roll, which seemed exorbitant to me.