Re: [cacti-announce] Cacti 0.8.6j Released (fwd)

  • From: Eric A. Hall
  • Date: Wed Jan 24 16:45:30 2007

On 1/24/2007 2:46 PM, Ray Burkholder wrote:

> WMI requires Windows Authentication, and if one is running Linux tools,
> there are issues.  I havn't come a cross an easy way to get to WMI from
> Linux yet.  Anyone have any suggestions?

I've been working on this for a while actually.

WMI is WBEM, except that WMI uses DCOM as a transfer protocol instead of
using HTTP like WBEM. The big problem for Linux is that there aren't any
implementations. However there are some interesting tools that provide
gateway services that get around the problem.

Part of the openpegasus tarball is a program called wmimapper that
provides a WBEM to WMI gateway. Basically you send it WBEM queries with
HTTP authentication etc, and it converts those into WMI requests. It runs
on Windows (to generate the DCOM), and it's source-only so you'll need to
compile it yourself (although IBM and HP also include older ports in their
server monitoring software). I've been using it to pull Everest sensor
data off Windows boxes into Cacti on Linux for a while. There are some
problems with the whole thing, but it pretty much works.

SNMP Informant has a WMI-SNMP gateway agent that makes some/most Windows
data available through SNMP, which is handy. nsclient also provides access
to some perfmon and static data through a custom agent/proxy protocol too.

http://forums.cacti.net/viewtopic.php?t=11752

http://www.openpegasus.org/

http://www.snmp-informant.com/

http://nsclient.ready2run.nl/