RE: [cacti-announce] Cacti 0.8.6j Released (fwd)

  • From: Andrew Kirch
  • Date: Wed Jan 24 14:13:30 2007

Maybe this is overly naïve, but what about the ability to auto-magically import and search various vendor SNMP/WMI MIBs?  I can think of 3 open source NMS that do a good job if you set up all 3 to monitor the network, but they all overlap and none of them really do a good job.
I also am using a closed-source NMS at work that does little more than minimal on-system agent monitoring of Windows/Linux based servers (disk space cpu memory utilization).
Good graphing, good alerts, good SNMP integration, granularity, and escalation, as well as pretty executive reports to keep PHB's happy (and that display the system as 5 9's uptime no matter how many times the mail server crashed!).
The reason why the open-source tools don't work is a lack of comprehensive coverage of Cisco, third party network kit, Linux and Windows.  It just doesn't quite "do it all".
The reason why the closed-source tool didn't work (in my mind) is that it just doesn't have the flexibility to deal with anything other than what it's expecting.  I've submitted a few dozen support tickets with them (and they will remain nameless) simply because of a lack of SNMP knowledge on their part.
Please forgive me for all above M$ specific references, I work in a MS and *IX environment.

Andrew D Kirch - All Things IT
Office: 317-755-0202
"si hoc legere scis nimium eruditiones habes."