Re: DNS Query Question

  • From: Dennis Dayman
  • Date: Wed Jan 24 08:44:38 2007
  • Dkim-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=simple; d=thenose.net; s=mail; x=1170249934; q=dns; h=DomainKey-Signature:Received:Message-ID: Date:From:User-Agent:MIME-Version:To:CC:Subject:References: In-Reply-To:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=ktqTBCRqrn JzhV/UxxF7iHNblFbrWnG0tuB1KAGy4Kd+p3KVPOdZC3h72hdi2dz+LNPuAqEn1u SQon+FY1DTeKJgMYX3fm/PaMgNcxlKs/e+gpu6vAVslAv9YaygU4DVWQuJ/C+XIT LVYbs8OrR20bHElh02AodQASU1DjbgRt0=

Stephen Satchell wrote:

Is your customer using BIND?

They are using their co-lo's so I am unsure

What do the statistics tell you?

This is a dumb user that I'm dealing with. No experience.

Router to them means a police officer.

How many DNS servers are handling the traffic?

two (2)

Are they load-balanced?

unsure. they are on different sub nets

Has the DNS servers been upgraded to handle more traffic? Does the customer segregate their authoritative servers from their recursive ones? (That one change right there improved my DNS reliability and servicability by several orders of magnitude!)

they don't own the servers. if they did I could easily fix this. I do know that their bandwidth provider has said that they do *tend* to have issues

From your description, I'd say there was a lot more work to be done first, unless they just don't have the people to do it right.

yup. think this is why I am going down the managed session road.

-Dennis