Re: Google wants to be your Internet

  • From: Jim Shankland
  • Date: Mon Jan 22 12:22:16 2007

"Travis H." <[email protected]> writes:

> IIRC, someone representing the electrical companies approached
> someone representing network providers, possibly the IETF, to
> ask about the feasibility of using IP to monitor the electrical
> meters throughout the US....
>
> The response was "yeah, well, maybe with IPv6".

Which is nonsense.  More gently, it's only true if you not only
want to use IP to monitor electrical meters, but want the use
the (global) Internet to monitor electrical meters.

I'd love to hear the business case for why my home electrical meter
needs to be directly IP-addressable from an Internet cafe in Lagos.

Jim Shankland